Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In the Deep Freeze

Winter, Laramie Basin.

It's been a little chilly around here the for the last couple of days.  At our house the thermometer bottomed out at 17 below on Sunday night, but the official temperature at the airport just west of town sagged to 27 below.  According to the Weather Underground, if "felt like 42 below," whatever that means.  It's fun to report these extreme temperatures to relatives who live in warmer places because they inevitably express their horror and ask, "How can you live in a place like that?"  Oddly though, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds.  I grew up in the DC suburbs, and I can look you in the eye and report that I've been far colder there at 25 degrees in a damp East Coast wind than I felt yesterday riding my clunky old town bike to work (just a few blocks away) at 17 below. 

Stay warm!

Photo info:  Nikon D700, 17-35 mm lens at 17 mm, ISO 200, f8, 1/125 s

No comments:

Post a Comment