Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bosler Library

 The Bosler (Wyoming) Public Library, 2007.
(Click images to make bigger)

Like many photographers in Laramie, I love visiting Bosler, the near ghost town about 15 miles north of here. I've gone there for years, first shooting photos on film and then digitally after I made the switch.  The few residents, Doc being the most famous, have resulted in many iterations of No Trespassing signs over the years, warning people like me away from certain parts of town, but I've never been hassled as I photograph the comings and goings of old cars and furniture and the slow decay of the buildings that are scattered around in the prairie.  Years ago, when my Dad was in town visiting, I took him to Bosler and we ran into Doc in his cluttered shop, smoking cigarettes and working on his website business, a bottle of "mouthwash for smokers" on the table beside him.  He was enthusiastic, and my Dad enjoyed the experience.  Since then, I've never run into him, but the signs tell me he's there, keeping an eye on things.  

I'd love to see  photos from Bosler when it was vibrant.  According to a website put together by Gary Speck, Bosler was originally a supply depot for the Diamond Ranch, owned by Frank Bosler in the early 1900s.  It grew during the early part of the last century to over 250 people, according to Speck's site, but then began a rapid decline after I-80 was built, diverting most of the traffic that provided business there.  When I first moved to Laramie in the late 80s I knew Ann(e) Bosler and her parents, who were related to the Bosler Boslers, but have long since lost track.  They may still live here.

I'll put up some other Bosler photos from time to time.  

Bosler Public Library, 2007.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Frank Edward Bosler. My family comes from Louisville, Kentucky. I am a retired school teacher from Gallup, New Mexico. I traveled to Bosler, Wyoming years ago after watching the Tom Horn movie with Steve McQueen. Saw this site and thought I would plant a post.
    fbozler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank. Thanks for looking and commenting. In the late 80s, when I first moved to Laramie, there were some Boslers here in town, and maybe there still are. I didn't know them well. Bowler now is nearly abandoned, as you know, but it's an interesting place.

      Delete